Based in Melbourne, Australia
Press / Business contact:
Into Affliction is a sci-fi cinematic platformer, akin to classics such as Flashback and Another World. Set in the near future, our protagonist Koharu, desperate to save her dying son, travels to a distant planet chasing rumours of a cure. While descending to the planet, her ship malfunctions and she is stranded, leaving her son on life support in space awaiting her return.
Gameplay is comparable to the trial and error puzzle navigation found in “Abe’s Oddysee” or “Limbo”. While traversing the shadowy landscape, Koharu must survive an onslaught of alien objects and enemies all without a weapon to aid her. While desolate, she discovers that the planet is host to it’s own distinctive illness, which she is able to manipulate using a unique EMP mechanic, aiding her in her progression through the world.
With a captivating narrative, a strong protagonist and a stunning sci-fi aesthetic, Into Affliction draws upon time old tales of motherhood, survival and inner strength to tell a story of a mother trying to save her baby.
Into Affliction’s narrative is motivated by the creator’s experience of living with cystic fibrosis and the efforts to which his mother went to keep him healthy as a child. Beginning as the final project of a Bachelor’s degree, Into Affliction is a personal project that has evolved and improved drastically since mid 2015. From the onset, the goal was to create something that had meaning, both to the creator as well as the audience.
Using the genre of forgotten cinematic platformers, Into Affliction aims to remind players of a time when adventure, discovery and puzzle solving were interwoven gracefully with poignant storylines. It looks to focus on the sacrifice a mother makes for the safety of her child while simultaneously delivering an immersive and enjoyable sci-fi experience. Valorian Games is proud to announce that Into Affliction received production funding from Film Victoria in early 2017.
- A satisfying update of mechanics from a forgotten genre - the cinematic platformer.
- Captivating and gorgeous pixel environments that draw the player into the unique world.
- Non-combative gameplay that requires the player to use their wits to overcome otherworldly puzzles and escape unfathomable, deadly creatures.
- Players are taken on a tailored emotional experience, lead by the poignant narrative and its underlying themes.
- Intriguing landscapes that range from hostile jungles to caves to scientific labs.
- Experience a dynamic and emotive soundscape influenced by your actions and environment.
There are currently no trailers available for Into Affliction. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Into Affliction. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Team & Repeating Collaborator